The transition from primary to secondary school is exciting for children and marks a new phase in their lives, however, like any change, it can also bring uncertainty.
Most children adapt to secondary school well, however this transition period can also be challenging for a number of reasons. For example, some children may worry about making new friends, others may have concerns around organisation and understanding new systems.
We have created our Moving Up! animation and teacher toolkit aimed at supporting pupils who are about to make this transition to Year 7. These materials were developed in collaboration with young people, teachers, and mental health experts.
The animation aims to support pupils to:
- Identify potential worries associated with starting secondary school
- Know they’re not alone if they are feeling worried
- Talk to a trusted adult or friend if they have any concerns
- Identify solutions and strategies for looking after their mental health, including self-care
The Teacher Toolkit is for school staff to use alongside the above animation and includes:
- a Lesson Plan and various lesson activities
- an Assembly Plan and PowerPoint slide show
- a list of helpful resources
- a copy of the animation script
- a blank signposting poster for you to print and use in school
We have also created some guidance to be shared with parents and carers around supporting children and young people through this transition.